I just went into my 27 week appointment and I got to see the best doctor, Dr. Bean. The last doctor didn't even seem like he looked at the chart and I just love how this doctor is so on top of things. So this was the first time back to the same office that we found out the diagnosis, which was hard for me. I waited in the waiting room with probably 10 pregnant girls for 45 mins which is truly my favorite! JK, it is just hard to be reminded about what is happening to me all the time. Anyways, when I went in I already knew I was measuring big and my fluid level was high, just due to the symptoms I have been having. I have been short of breath, but I have still have been able to work out almost everyday, which is a positive. The biggest symptom I have is dizziness/nausea, I will almost black out sometimes and I know that is a symptom of high fluid.
So I am measuring at 32 wks, which is only 5 weeks ahead, but the bad part was when he scanned the actual amniotic fluid inside of my uterus. He kept saying, you definitely have a lot of fluid in there, and then I asked what it was and he responded, "Are you sure you want to know?" That usually means not the best outcome... anyways, so he went on to tell me that most pregnancies peak with levels around 12-17 cm, but they decrease over time. With babies with anencephaly they usually increase as you end your pregnancy due to the baby not swallowing properly. Polyhydramnios is the diagnosis for excess fluid and is diagnosed to about 1% of pregnancies, and is any number above 25 cm. So he then proceeded to tell me that my number was 27 cm. I don't have any swelling anywhere or excess weight, but my belly seriously feels as if it is going to pop. It is so uncomfortable.
This is where he began to ask some serious questions as of what our plan is for little Brigham. With fluid this high you can be extremely uncomfortable, shortness of breath, dizziness, contractions, pre-term labor, and what we are worried about the most-is your water can break. There is really only one way to reduce fluid in these cases, which is something called an amniocentisis. This procedure is where they stick a needle in my belly and aspirate fluid off. The risk factors for this are infection and pre-term labor. It is hard to be facing these decisions right now, but I really want to give him the best chance possible to live at least as long as is possible and in order to do that I will most likely need to do an amniocentisis in the next couple weeks.
I told the doctor, "I want to go full term so bad, but I really want what naturally occurs, because I feel like that is a way to let God's plan play out." With that being said I want to do every intervention that I would do with any of my other kids. I am already having contractions everyday and feel the affects of this high fluid, but I am trying to think positive and know that it will all work out for my good.
I am praying continually for this baby to be born alive and full term, which would give him the longest living possibility. But, to be quite honest I am overwhelmed with the complications that are already arising and I just don't know how I am going to get through this. This little Brigham inside me is moving so often now, I just love knowing he is alive and okay in there. He is truly my life right now and I hope that I can make it to full term and hold this little angel for as long as God gives me!
3 comments:
Thinking of you!
Oh Becca I cried reading your post. You have amazing faith and are so strong. I loved your words 'to let God's plan play out.' We're thinking and praying for you and your family and especially little Brigham all the time. I can't imagine. Love you
Post a Comment