Briggs,
When your mother and I found out that
you would be joining our family, we were ecstatic. I told your mom that I
thought you were a girl, even though I was secretly hoping for a boy.
When the nurse told me you were indeed a boy, I was super excited and
immediately began to plan the adventures we would have together.
Your older sisters were thrilled to
hear the news as well, and so were your grandparents, aunts, uncles and
cousins. As you know, you have close cousins on both sides of the family,
and we knew you would be loved, watched-over and adored by many.
Your mom and I decided to name you
Brigham, and call your "Briggs" for short. We have liked this
name for a long time, as it has historical reference to one of the great
leaders of our Church, who lead the saints through a tremendous time period.
We also thought it'd be a fun name since BYU has had such a significant
influence in my life.
When the doctor told us that your
visit on earth would be a "brief" one, it was a very hard pill to
swallow. I had already planned out our times to play ball, to ride bikes,
to camp, play golf, stay at the cabin, talk about missions and simply just hang
out.
As hard as it has been for your
mother and I to process the tragic news, we want you to know that it hasn't
changed how we feel about you. You are a member of our family, just like
your older sisters, and we love you just as much.
In fact, we've recently come to learn
the special role you play in our family. Already, you have influenced many
people. We made some shirts with your name on it, and celebrated YOU.
Wearing your name helped us do some fun things, like hold a real
alligator, launch water balloons in a park, and catch Livy's first fish.
Lots of others have celebrated you
along the way with us, and it's taught your mom and I a lot about LOVE.
When you were born, you came out
completely enclosed in the Amniotic sac. This is called an
"EnCaul" birth and is extremely rare. Throughout history, those
born still enclosed in these sacs have been associated with “good luck”, and
were predicted to be destined for greatness. Caulbearers, as they call
you, were also seen to be messengers sent by a higher force to guide mankind in
matters of a higher, spiritual nature. How appropriate for a boy like
you!
Most babies with your prognosis don’t
make it here alive, but you proved them all wrong and were with us for 35 short
minutes. I’ll never forget when you
squeezed my finger, and looked me in my eyes.
You fought so hard to live, just so we could be with you for just a few
minutes. Thank you so much, as that
meant the world to me!
We are going to miss you like crazy,
but I can make you a promise that a day won't go by that I won't think about
you. We will keep our heads up, and
live a life “Brigg Strong.” Your spirit will be in our home, and we
promise to speak of you often.
I only ask of you to keep special
watch on us. Life can be a challenge, but we will watch for you
beyond the veil, to be our angel. Remind us of God's plan, of the
Atonement, and of our family bond that will live and carry-on forever.
So while we say goodbye for now, we
know you are still with us, and will be forever. You are our son -- my
son -- and nothing can change that, not even death! And I promise I'll try my hardest to live my
life that would make you be proud to be my son.
I love you Brigham. Rest in
Peace, until we meet again.
Love,

No comments:
Post a Comment